Can a custodial parent move out of state with the child?


Relocating out of state with a child requires either the other parent’s consent or a court order granting permission for the move. The court will evaluate various factors to determine if the move is in the child’s best interests.

“Move-away” cases are very complicated, and you should always consult with your lawyer regarding this issue. The degree of difficulty substantially increases when the parents share 50/50 physical custody of their children. If a court allows the move away, the court could impose significant financial burdens on the moving parent, to ensure that the parent left behind maintains close custodial contact and time with the child(ren). These types of cases can be very expensive to litigate.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to content